Select a language: Español │ Français
Gold Extraction Process
Sodium cyanide has been used in the extraction of gold from ore for over a century. Today it is still considered the most efficient extraction method – with sodium cyanide used in the leaching process in most gold mining operations.
Orica is one of the largest producers of sodium cyanide for the mining industry. Ammonia and caustic soda are the key raw materials used in the production of this chemical.
- Solid sodium cyanide is produced to form a white crystalline briquette or ‘cyanoid’. These briquettes are highly soluble and can be delivered to customers using the Orica-designed Sparge system, or in flexible intermediate bulk containers (FIBCs).
- Liquid sodium cyanide is delivered to mine sites via purpose-built isotanks that are suitable for road or rail transport.
To ensure the safety of our customers, Orica offers a 24/7 emergency response capability, plus technical advice and awareness programs in the safe use and handling of cyanide on mine sites.
Yarwun, Gladstone Cyanide Manufacturing Facility
Orica’s sodium cyanide manufacturing facility is located in Queensland, Australia. The site has an annual cyanide capacity of 95kTpa and is compliant with ISO9002 and the International Cyanide Management Code (ICMC).
Our dedicated manufacturing facility, together with our sodium cyanide transfer stations in Africa and Latin America enable continuous supply of product, while our proven supply chain provides safe and secure supply of this chemical to our customers around the world.
Orica is a signatory to the International Cyanide Management Code and our sodium cyanide manufacturing facility and transfer stations are fully ICMC accredited.
Our global supply chain is ICMC certified– with route assessments conducted by accredited third party contractors for road deliveries and due diligence programs for port and rail delivery operations.
To help our customers ensure the safe use and handling of sodium cyanide onsite we offer:
- onsite sodium cyanide storage recommendations and reviews
- a 24/7 emergency response service, and
- site-based product awareness and safety training.