A project to significantly improve the way ammonia is managed at the site was completed in 2020.
The works, which spanned over an eight-year period and cost around $100 million included:
- upgrades to ammonia storage vessels
- upgrades to ammonia detection and isolation systems
- the installation of three flaring systems designed to prevent ammonia emissions and their associated odour
- the replacement of the ammonia pipeline between the site and Kooragang Berth 2 to ensure the ongoing safe operation of the site’s ammonia import and export process
- the installation of a new pump and associated piping at the 12,000-tonne ammonia storage tank.