A $46M project to reduce the site’s PM2.5 ammonium nitrate (AN) emissions is currently underway. The project involves retrofitting the prill tower with an irrigated fibre-bed scrubber, which is designed to capture fine particles of AN during the manufacturing process. Once installed, it is anticipated the scrubber will reduce PM2.5 emissions from the tower by more than 95 per cent. Achievements during 2021 included:
• setting milestones and reporting processes with the NSW Environment Protection Authority
• progressing detailed design work
• completing structural and geotechnical investigations for the tower and footings
• submitting an environmental assessment
• obtaining development approval from the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.
Preliminary construction activities are expected to commence in late 2022 and the project is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2023.